If you're the person who purchased your Microsoft business subscription, you are the Global Admin. This means you have unlimited control over the products in your subscriptions and you can access most data.
When you add new users, if you don't assign them an admin role then they are in the user role and don't have admin privileges to any of the Microsoft admin centers. But if you need help getting things done, you can assign an admin role to a user. For example, if you need someone to help reset passwords, you shouldn't assign them the global admin role, you should assign them the password admin role. Having too many global admins, with unlimited access to your data and online business, is a security risk.
Watch a short video about adding an admin.
If you found this video helpful, check out the complete training series for small businesses and those new to Microsoft 365.
If you're not using the new Microsoft 365 admin center, you can turn it on by selecting the Try the new admin center toggle located at the top of the Home page.
Assign admin roles
You can assign users to a role in 2 different ways:
- You can go to the user's details and Manage roles to assign a role to the user.
- Or you can go to Roles and select the role, and then add multiple users to it.
Assign admin roles to users using Roles
- In the admin center, go to Roles > Roles to view all of the admin roles available for your organization.
- Select the admin role that you want to assign the user to.
- Select Assigned admins > Add.
- Type the user's display name or username, and then select the user from the list of suggestions.
- Add multiple users until you're done.
- Select Save, and then the user will be added to the list of assigned admins.
Assign a user to an admin role from Active users
In the admin center, go to Users > Active users page.
On the Active users page, select the user whose admin role you want to change. In the flyout pane, next to Roles, select Manage roles.
Select the admin role that you want to assign to the user. If you don't see the role you're looking for, select Show all at the bottom of the list.
Didn't work for you?
You might not have the correct permissions and so you don't have access to assign admin roles to other users. Ask another admin to assign roles for you.
Please sign in to leave a comment.