As a Global Administrator or SharePoint Administrator in your organization, you can change the URL for the following types of SharePoint sites (previously called "site collections"):
- Microsoft 365 group-connected team sites
- Modern team sites that don't belong to a Microsoft 365 group
- Communication sites
- Classic team sites
Changing the site address is not supported in the following situations:
- The Publishing feature is currently activated or was previously activated for the site.
- The site contains more than 15 million documents.
You can change only the address of the site within the URL, for example:
You can't move the site from "/sites" to "/teams." For info about changing your SharePoint domain name, see Change your SharePoint domain name.
It can take about 10 minutes to change the site address (depending on the size of the site), and the site will be read-only during this time. We recommend changing addresses during times when site usage is low.
You can change the address of up to 100 sites at a time. To change an additional site address, wait for another change to finish.
Communicate the address change to users
Before you change the address of a site, it's important to communicate the change to site users (generally anyone with the ability to edit or view the site). This can help reduce user confusion and calls to your help desk. Review the effects of changing a site address and let users know the following information:
- When the change will happen
- What the new URL will be
- Users should close their files and not make edits during the address change
- Users should check the site recycle bin to make sure it contains no files they want to keep
- File permissions and sharing won't change
Change a site address in the new SharePoint admin center
- Go to Active sites in the new SharePoint admin center, and sign in with an account that has admin permissions for your organization.
To open the details pane, select the site name.
On the General tab, under URL, select Edit.
- Enter the new site address, and then select Save.